A Deliciously Sweet and Sour Jamaican-Style Chicken Recipe
When it comes to Caribbean cuisine, Jamaican food stands out for its vibrant flavors and boldness of taste. This sweet and sour chicken recipe is a great representation of Jamaican culture and cooking, capturing a unique fusion of unique spices, flavors, and ingredients that meld together perfectly to tantalize the taste buds and provide a flavor adventure.
* 8 boneless and skinless chicken thighs
* 2 teaspoon of minced garlic
* 2 teaspoon of minced ginger
* 1 finely chopped onion
* 3 tablespoons of tomato ketchup
* 2 tablespoons of apricot jam
* 2 tablespoon of lime or lemon juice
* 2 teaspoon of mustard
* ½ teaspoon of ground Jamaican allspice
* 2 teaspoon of light soy sauce
* 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
* 2 tablespoons of red wine vinegar
* 2 tablespoons of lightly brown sugar
1. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
2. Add the chicken and brown for about 5 minutes on each side until cooked through.
3. Remove from the skillet and set aside.
4. In the same pan, add the garlic, ginger, onion, tomato ketchup, apricot jam, lime or lemon juice, mustard, Jamaican allspice, soy sauce, and vinegar.
5. Cook the ingredients over medium-low heat for about 5 minutes.
6. Return the chicken to the skillet and cook for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
7. Add the brown sugar and allow it to caramelize, stirring every couple of minutes.
8. Cook for another 5 minutes until the sauce thickens.
9. Serve over steamed white rice to enjoy a classic Jamaican delight!
This sweet and sour chicken blends exotic flavors and ingredients to produce a dish that is truly special. The addition of Jamaican allspice, a mixture of allspice, cinnamon, and nutmeg, gives the dish its signature Caribbean flair. The mellow combination of sugar and apricot jam provide a pleasing sweetness and, when paired with the acidic flavors in the lime or lemon juice and vinegar, bring a delicious balance of sweet and sour.
This dish is perfect for those who want to experience the unique fusion of flavors in Jamaican cuisine. It’s simple enough for everyday dining yet also special enough for a more formal setting. For an even more comprehensive Caribbean meal, try pairing this sweet and sour chicken with a side of tropical fruit salsa for a truly unforgettable experience!