Welcome to the world of Sun Drop Cake! This tantalizing dessert has become a classic in many culture’s culinary canon, and has been a favorite of home cooks for generations.
At its core, Sun Drop Cake is a delectably moist yellow cake. But, there’s a twist! It gets its unique flavor from the addition of a citrusy, aromatic liqueur that gives it the perfect balance of sweetness, subtle tanginess and a bit of oomph.
The Sun Drop Cake is a delightful blend of Southern hospitality and European sophistication, with a dollop of citrusy fun.
The traditional Sun Drop Cake was inspired by European dessert recipes, but it’s taken on a new specificity in recent decades as Southern chefs have tweaked The original recipe to include the region’s beloved liqueur, providing the perfect combo of sweet, savory and sharp. This updated classic takes the cake when it comes to flavor!
The most unique aspect of this cake is its delightful surprise: If you wait for a few days after this dessert is prepared, you’ll find that the flavor develops with age — making it a true treat for the taste buds!
Ready to get started? Below is the recipe, with step-by-step instructions so you can whip up this classic cake with ease.
– 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
– 1 teaspoon baking powder
– ½ teaspoon baking soda
– ¼ teaspoon salt
– 1 cup butter, softened
– 2 cups granulated sugar
– 3 eggs
– 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
– ½ cup sour cream
– ¾ cup sun drop liqueur
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a 9×13 inch baking pan
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt
3. In another bowl, beat together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, until fully combined
4. Add the vanilla extract and sour cream and mix until blended.
5. Gradually add the dry ingredients and mix until just combined
6. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 30-35 minutes, or until golden brown
7. When the cake is done baking, cool it in the pan for 10 minutes
8. While the cake is cooling, heat the sun drop liqueur in a small saucepan. When it’s warm, pour it over the cake. Allow the cake to soak up the liqueur
9. Cut into slices and serve!
There you have it — a classic Sun Drop Cake that’s sure to please your family and friends. Pair your freshly cut slices with a cool glass of summer lemonade or your favorite ice cream, and you have the perfect summer dessert.
Sun Drop Cake is a delightful twist on the traditional yellow cake, with its unique citrusy surprise that’s sure to tickle your taste buds. Give it a try and let us know what you think!