Try This Tried and True Sugar Bread Recipe
Do you have a sweet tooth that begs to be satisfied? Or do you simply love a hearty slice of bread? Whatever your motivation, this traditional sugar bread recipe is sure to hit the spot!
A classic recipe that’s long been beloved, sugar bread brings together the homey feel of a hot slice of bread with a hint of something special. Using sugar, milk and butter as the base, sugar bread gets a special touch with just a few spices, creating something timeless that can bring a family together.
• 2 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
• 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
• 3 tablespoons cold butter
• 2 ¼ teaspoons active dry yeast
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 2 tablespoons hot milk
• ½ cup lukewarm water
1. In a bowl, whisk together the sugar, flour, yeast and salt.
2. Cut butter into small cubes, add to the dry ingredients and rub in together until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
3. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients, add the hot milk and mix together using a wooden spoon.
4. Gradually add the water and knead the mixture together until you have a soft, pliable dough.
5. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 5 minutes.
6. Place the dough into a lightly oiled bowl, cover and leave to rise in a warm place for 45 minutes or until doubled in size.
7. Knock back the dough, knead for a couple of minutes, then shape into a round
8. Place onto a greased baking sheet.
9. Leave to rise for a while before baking at 350°F (170°C) for 25 minutes.
10. Remove from the oven and leave to cool before serving.
This is a classic recipe that never fails to hit the spot. Sweet without being overly so, it’s the perfect accompaniment to a cup of tea, as a mid-morning treat or as part of a hearty breakfast. Its subtle sweetness adds a unique twist and can be easily adapted; pierce the centre before rising, press in raisins and a sprinkling of sugar to create a sweeter finish, or brush with honey or maple syrup for a boost of flavor.
Whether served as a snack or for a special occasion, sugar bread is sure to bring a little sweetness to your day.