Tantalizingly Delicious Stuffed Italian Bread
Feast your eyes on this incredibly tantalizing stuffed Italian bread – it’s guaranteed to tantalize all your senses and set your taste buds alight. Whether it’s for a special occasion or just a regular night at home, this stuffed Italian bread will be sure to satisfy with its inviting combination of mozzarella and ricotta cheese, fresh basil and fragrant oregano, served within a deliciously crispy golden crust.
A Dish with Cultural Influences
This recipe is influenced by the culinary traditions of both Italy and the Mediterranean. Not only is it bursting with Italian flavors, but it also features Middle Eastern ingredients, such as sumac, which adds a unique and slightly tart flavor. Moreover, the stuffing is laced with the fresh, grassy flavors of basil and oregano – two Mediterranean herbs that are integral to the region’s cuisine.
An Unforgettable Cooking Experience
Creating this stuffed Italian bread is a truly unforgettable experience. From shaping the dough and rolling it into a large circle to stuffing it with the flavorful combination of ingredients, from folding in the edges to give it its curved shape to brushing it with olive oil and sprinkling sumac – each step is a joy to partake in. And, when you finally place it in the oven, the mouth-watering aroma of baking bread will fill the kitchen and make your stomach rumble.
- 1 tablespoon of active dry yeast
- 1 ½ cup of warm water
- 2 teaspoons of sugar
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 3 ½ cups of flour
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil, plus more
- 1 cup of ricotta cheese
- 1 cup of shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons of oregano
- 2 tablespoons of fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon of sumac
- In a small bowl, combine the yeast and warm water. When the yeast starts to foam, stir in the sugar and salt. Then, add 2 tablespoons of olive oil and 1 ½ cups of flour, stirring until combined.
- Once the dough starts to come together, turn it out onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 5 minutes, adding more flour as needed. Place the kneaded dough in a lightly oiled bowl and cover with a damp cloth. Let the dough rise in a warm place until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
- Once the dough has risen, turn it out onto a lightly floured surface and knead a few more times. Roll out the dough into a circle, about 1/8 inch thick. Then, spread the ricotta cheese on the dough, followed by the mozzarella cheese, garlic, oregano, basil, and sumac. Fold in the edges of the dough to form a round and Crimp the edges to seal
- Place the stuffed Italian bread on a greased baking sheet and brush with olive oil. Sprinkle with sumac and bake at 425°F for 15 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown.
Once done, slice the stuffed Italian bread and watch as the melted cheese and aromatic herbs tantalize your senses. Enjoy the crispness of the crust with the creamy texture of the ricotta and mozzarella cheese, along with the vibrant sapor of basil and oregano. Enjoy this fabulous Italian-Mediterranean dish!