A Super-Tasty, Spicy Egg Salad For Different Palates
Whenever I’m in the mood for something light yet filling, I turn to this delicious spicy egg salad. The combination of the cool creamy eggs, crunchy vegetables, and tasty spices make it satisfying to the senses and inviting to any palate. It’s especially a great choice for those summertime picnics, but it’s also hearty enough to be enjoyed year-round. Plus, it’s incredibly easy to make, so let’s get cooking!
- 6 boiled eggs, cooled, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 1 small red bell pepper, diced
- 2 tablespoons minced jalapeño pepper
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons Dijon-style mustard
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon sea salt, or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
- In a large bowl, combine the chopped eggs, diced red onion, celery, bell pepper, and jalapeño.
- In a small bowl, mix together mayonnaise, mustard, smoked paprika, cayenne pepper, salt, and black pepper.
- Pour the dressing over the egg mixture.
- Gently fold the ingredients together until everything is evenly coated with the dressing.
- Season to taste with additional salt, pepper, or cayenne pepper, as desired.
The addition of jalapeño and cayenne pepper gives this spicy egg salad a nice kick. It does contain some heat – enough to make you take notice, but not too much to make it unbearable. The sweet, crunchy red bell pepper helps to cut the heat, while the red onion and celery offer a delightful contrast in texture. The creamy mayonnaise and tangy mustard bind everything together beautifully.
This spicy egg salad makes a great solo lunch or side dish. It can also be used as a filling for sandwiches, wraps, or stuffed into a fresh tomato. For a more complete meal, top with freshly-grated Parmesan cheese, crumbled bacon, and crispy croutons. It pairs excellently with chilled rice wine, beer, or just a tall glass of iced tea.
If you’re in the mood for a more traditional egg salad, the ingredients can easily be modified to make it mild instead. Chopped hard-boiled eggs, diced red onion, celery, and bell pepper, mayonnaise, and a pinch of salt and pepper are all you need for a comforting classic.
My spicy egg salad always manages to hit the spot. I hope it does for you as well!