Welcome to my kitchen! Today, I’d like to share a traditional recipe from my homeland, Croatia. It’s a spicy crab soup – a truly delicious and fragrant delicacy that usually appears on special occasions.
Spicy Crab Soup – A Tradition from Croatia
This irresistible seafood soup is no ordinary soup. It’s a unique and incredibly flavorful blend of local flavors and ingredients that is sure to warm your soul. The base of the soup is made of a combination of tomato, garlic and paprika which provides an aromatic spiciness that is nothing short of tantalizing. Add to that the sweetness of carrots, the creaminess of potatoes and the succulence of crab meat and you’ve got a soul-warming treat that you and your friends will love.
– 2 tablespoons olive oil
– 1 onion, finely chopped
– 3 cloves garlic, crushed
– 1 tablespoon sweet paprika
– 1 tablespoon hot paprika
– 2 carrots, diced
– 2 potatoes, peeled and cubed
– 500g fresh crab meat
– 1 litre chicken stock
– 3 tablespoons tomato puree
– Salt and freshly ground black pepper
– Chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
1. Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan. Add the onion, garlic, sweet and hot paprika, and carrots. Saute for a few minutes until the onions are soft and golden.
2. Add the potatoes and continue to cook until the potatoes are just beginning to soften.
3. Add the crab meat and cook for 3 to 4 minutes until it is heated through.
4. Add the chicken stock and tomato puree, stir, and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat, cover the pan and simmer for about 15 minutes, until all the vegetables are cooked.
5. Adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper to taste.
6. Serve in warmed soup bowls, garnished with freshly chopped parsley.
This classic recipe is a great way to enjoy a bit of the Old World in a new way. The robust flavors of this traditional soup dish perfectly compliment the sweetness of the crab, creating a unique flavor profile that can’t be found in any other cuisine. Serve with a light salad and some crusty bread for a starter that will wow your guests.
If you love seafood and crave something spicy, this is the recipe for you! Have fun dishing up your own spicy version of this traditional Croatian delight. Bon appétit!