Empanadas, originating from Spain, are a type of savory pastry that are both delicious and filling. These traditional Spanish pastries are often filled with meats, vegetables, and cheeses and make a great appetizers or snacks to bring to parties and gatherings. The best part about them is that you can customize them however you like, ensuring that everyone gets an empanada tailored to their tastes. Here is a basic recipe for homemade Spanish empanadas:
– 2 cups all-purpose flour
– 1 teaspoon baking powder
– 1 teaspoon salt
– ¼ cup olive oil
– ¾ cup cold water
– 2 cups filling of your choice (i.e.: cooked and shredded chicken, vegetables, cheese, etc.)
1. Preheat oven to 375°F.
2. In a large bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, and salt.
3. Slowly stream in the oil and cold water, stirring to combine.
4. Knead the dough on a lightly floured surface for 5-10 minutes, or until smooth and elastic.
5. Roll out the dough to a ¼-inch thickness.
6. Cut into 5-inch circles using a biscuit cutter, or if you don’t have one, use a drinking glass.
7. Place a spoonful of your desired filling onto one half of the circle.
8. Fold the remaining half of the circle over the filling to form a semi-circle.
9. Use a fork to seal the edges of the empanada shut.
10. Brush the empanadas with an egg wash and sprinkle with desired seasonings (i.e: garlic powder, onion powder, herbs, etc.)
11. Place the empanadas onto a baking sheet and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until golden brown and crispy.