Spanish Cocido Recipe
Cocido is a traditional stew created in the north of Spain. It usually consists of chickpeas, potatoes, vegetables, and meats. It is a hearty stew that is perfect for a cold winter dinner. The different flavors and mixture of ingredients makes this stew something that is enjoyed by many. Here is a recipe for Spanish Cocido.
- 1 pound of dry chickpeas
- 4 potatoes, peeled and cut into large chunks
- 4 carrots, peeled and cut into large chunks
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon of garlic, minced
- 4 cups of chicken broth
- 1 pork shoulder, cubed
- 4 ounces of chorizo sausage
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Soak the dry chickpeas in a large bowl overnight.
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat and add the onions and garlic. Cook until the onions are translucent.
- Add the cubed pork shoulder and chorizo sausage to the pot and cook until browned. Add the potatoes and carrots to the pot. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the chickpeas to the pot and pour in the chicken broth. Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer. Simmer for 1-2 hours, or until the vegetables are tender.
- Season with salt and pepper. Serve in bowls and enjoy!
This traditional Spanish stew is a filling and flavorful dish that is sure to be a hit at your next dinner gathering. Enjoy!