Try this Delicious Sourdough Rye Sandwich Bread Recipe
It’s time to say goodbye to store-bought sandwich bread and hello to a homemade sourdough rye sandwich bread – a flavorful and hearty way to upgrade your lunch. This loaf is made with a sourdough starter, rye flour and other simple pantry ingredients to give it a delicious flavor and texture that’s perfect for any sandwich. With this easy and reliable recipe, you’ll always have a loaf of homemade sourdough rye sandwich bread on hand.
– 300 grams of all-purpose flour
– 200 grams of rye flour
– 10 grams of salt
– 1 teaspoon of sugar
– 350 grams of sourdough starter
– 225 ml of warm water
1. In a bowl, combine the all-purpose flour, rye flour, salt, and sugar. Whisk until everything is evenly mixed and set aside.
2. In a separate bowl, stir together the sourdough starter and warm water.
3. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until everything is well combined.
4. Knead the dough on a floured surface for 8-10 minutes, until it is soft and pliable. Loosely shape the dough into a ball.
5. Place the dough into a greased bowl, cover with a damp kitchen towel and let it rest in a warm place for at least 4-5 hours.
6. Once the dough has doubled in size, transfer it to a floured surface and knead it a few times.
7. Shape the dough into a round loaf and place it on a greased baking sheet. Cover with a damp kitchen towel and let it rise for at least two hours.
8. Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C).
9. Bake for 35 minutes or until golden brown.
10. Remove from the oven and let the loaf cool completely before slicing.
This sourdough rye sandwich bread is the perfect accompaniment to any hearty sandwich. Enjoy warm with a generous layer of cheese, cold cuts, pickles, and fresh greens. For a sweeter twist, incorporate dried fruit and nuts, or spread some peanut butter and honey. This deeply flavored and fluffy rye bread will also pair beautifully with a bowl of homemade soup or stew.
If you love the flavor of a good sourdough but have never tackled making it, this is a good place to start. Not only is this rye bread incredibly satisfying, it’s also a great way to explore the complex flavors of fermented grains and share in the traditional culinary customs of many cultures.
Go ahead, give this recipe a try and enjoy a loaf of freshly-baked sourdough rye sandwich bread at its very best.