Warm Up Your World With Sourdough Discard Bread
Sourdough discard bread is the perfect winter comfort food. Nothing says ‘cozy’ like a freshly-baked loaf of love – or a warm, delectable muffin, biscuit or focaccia. But throw in the sourdough fermentation starter and you’ve got an excitingly new twist on an old classic.
The tang of the sourdough starter paired with the sweetness of the molasses enhances the punch of the butter and the subtle notes of the other ingredients. In other words, this is an irresistible fusion of simple flavors and complex tastes.
– 2 cups sourdough discard (room temperature)
– ¼ cup melted butter
– 2 tbsp. molasses
– 3 cups all-purpose flour
– 1 tbsp. kosher salt
– 2 ¼ tsp. active dry yeast
1. In a mixing bowl, combine the starter and the melted butter.
2. Add in the molasses and mix until combined.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, and active dry yeast.
4. Create a well in the center of the flour and add the starter mixture.
5. Use a wooden spoon to combine the ingredients into a smooth dough.
6. Knead the dough for 8–10 minutes until the it is smooth and springy.
7. Place the dough in a greased bowl. Cover the bowl with a damp towel and let the dough rise for about 1 hour.
8. Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C).
9. Grease a 9×5 inch loaf pan.
10. Punch down the dough and place in the loaf pan. Cover the loaf with a damp towel and allow to rise for another 45 minutes.
11. Bake in preheated oven for 35–40 minutes, or until golden brown.
12. Remove from oven and let cool before slicing.
Making sourdough discard bread is a great way to learn the art of bread-making while using something that is usually discarded. The flavorful mixing of ingredients creates the perfect snack or pleases any bread-lover’s palate. The chewy yet crispy crust of the bread with a warm and tangy center will bring a comfort to any home.
Try different variations on this recipe to create a dinner-special, like using wheat flour or adding flavored-fillings and herbs. The possibilities are truly endless. Sourdough discard bread is a great gateway for the beginner bread-maker, or a wonderful platform for the experienced bread-maker to create something unique and special.
So, don your apron and let’s get baking. Bon appétit.