Not too rich in calories it is perfect if you are on a diet too. Just put your chicken in the slow cooker when you leave for work in the morning and come home to a wonderful golden browned baked chicken for dinner in the evening.
The recipe is nice and simple as it is but if you would like to spice it up a little then you could add some onion cut into pieces into the chicken along with some crushed garlic gloves. You can also try some seasoning either some generic chicken seasoning or, like I have done on occasion, use some paprika and Italian herbs. We all need to eat more vegetables so feel free to try my creamy roasted broccoli with this meal it is absolutely delicious and very good for you.
If you would like to try another twist on this classic recipe take a look at this soy balsamic slow cooker chicken.
Whatever you choose to add or if you just leave the recipe as it is you will end up with a nice moist chicken that is ready to be served with virtually no work at all. Perfect!
Slow Cooker Chicken
- 1 large chicken
- 3 tsp salt
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Clean your chicken and remove giblets and neck.
- Rub spice mixture all over the chicken.
- At this point you can seal it in a bag and let marinate over night. But if you don’t have the time you can skip this. Dice up 1/2 onion and put at the bottom of the crock pot.
- Place spiced chicken on top of onions. There is no need to add any liquid. As your chicken slow cooks you will be amazed on how much juice you will end up with.
- Slow cook on low for about 8 hrs. You can use a thermometer to check to see if your chicken is done. It should read 180 deg. Or even simpler, wiggle a leg and if it’s loose, it’s done!
- Serve with your choice of vegetables and mashed potatoes. Enjoy!