A Refreshingly Light Summer “Sipping Soup”
If you’re looking for a light and refreshing summer treat, look no further than this intensely flavorful “sipping soup” recipe. Drawing on the flavors and textures of classic international cuisines, this soup packs a punch of freshness and complexity. With its unusual combination of ingredients it’s sure to have your guests trying to guess the secret ingredient!
– 4 cups of diced fresh or cannedpineapple
– 2 tablespoons of butter
– 1 onion, diced
– 2 cloves of garlic, minced
– 3 tablespoons of curry powder
– 2 tablespoons of grated fresh ginger
– 1 teaspoon of cayenne
– 1 large red bell pepper, diced
– 4 cups of vegetable stock
– 2 tablespoons of cornstarch
– 2 tablespoons of freshly squeezed lime juice
– 2 tablespoons of freshly chopped cilantro
– Salt and ground black pepper to taste
1. In a large pot, melt butter on medium heat and sauté onion and garlic until onion is softened.
2. Stir in curry powder, ginger and cayenne and cook for an additional 2 minutes.
3. Add bell pepper and pineapple and cook for 3 minutes.
4. Add vegetable stock and bring to a simmer.
5. In a small bowl, mix together cornstarch and a ¼ cup of water to form a slurry.
6. Slowly whisk in the slurry to the soup and continue to simmer until soup is thickened (about 8 minutes).
7. Turn off heat and stir in lime juice, cilantro and season with salt and black pepper.
This sunny and vibrant soup makes a light summer meal when served alongside a tossed salad. For a deeper experience, top with a sprinkle of feta cheese or a few croutons. You can even get creative with the spiciness by adjusting the cayenne level to your taste. Think of this sipping soup as an invitation to explore and some other exotic flavors! To serve, grab a bowl and a spoon and let your tastebuds take you away.