Experience Authentic Cuisine with Sicilian Olive Salad
Ever dreamt of travelling to Sicily, the Mediterranean island that produces some of the most delicious and unique dishes in the world? While a trip there would bring you to unforgettable culinary locations, you can start exploring Sicilian cuisine from the comfort of your own home with a flavorful and fresh olive salad.
This traditional Sicilian dish is made from fresh produce and kissed by the Mediterranean summer sun. It is packed with olives and greens, providing an array of texture and flavor. Paired with a zesty dressing, the salad will without a doubt leave you wanting more. Not to mention the fragrance of its ingredients – a delightful mix of heavenly sweetness and acidic pungency.
• 3 cups black olives, pitted
• 2 cups arugula, roughly chopped
• 1 cup diced tomatoes
• 1/2 cup chopped red onion
• 5 tablespoons olive oil
• 2 tablespoons lemon juice
• 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
• 2 garlic cloves, minced
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 1 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
1. Begin by combining the olives, arugula, tomatoes, and onion in a large bowl.
2. In a separate bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, red wine vinegar, garlic, salt, and pepper.
3. Pour the dressing over the salad, and toss to combine.
4. Let the salad sit for 10 to 15 minutes, tossing occasionally.
5. Serve as a chilled side or atop a bed of lettuce, as desired.
Sicilian olive salad offers a traditional flavor that will transport you to the island itself. As olives and olive oil come from the Mediterranean and grow abundantly in the region, the salad is an instant reminder of the rich culinary heritage of Sicily. Perfectly dressed in a zesty vinegar, garlic, and lemon vinaigrette, it will make any meal feel like a culinary escape.
Moreover, this food is quite healthy; the combination of ingredients, while they may sound simple, is tasty and eminently nourishing! The olives alone supply a variety of vitamins, minerals, as well as antioxidants such as oleuropein and hydroxytyrosol, which may help reduce inflammation. So, in terms of taste and nutrition, this is a win-win recipe.
If you’re in the mood for something fresh and zesty, but don’t feel like travelling to Sicily just yet, why not give this salad a try? With just a few ingredients and an easy step-by-step process, you can experience the authentic flavors of Sicily in your own kitchen. Bon appetite!