Experience Rich Flavor in Every Bite with Scali Bread
Scali bread is a simple, yet mouth-watering Italian-American classic that has been delighting taste buds for generations. It’s flaky, crunchy exterior is the perfect contrast to the soft, warm center that practically melts in your mouth.
This rustic Italian-style bread is a great gathering food; perfect for slicing up and serving alongside a charcuterie board. It also makes a great breakfast with plenty of butter, or as a sandwich using grated cheese, tomatoes, and roasted peppers.
-2 ½ cups of all purpose flour
-1 ¼ teaspoons of Kosher salt
-1 teaspoon of instant yeast
-12 tablespoons of room-temperature
-¾ cup of cold water
1. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, yeast, and butter until combined.
2. While stirring, gradually add the cold water.
3. Knead on a lightly floured surface for 5 minutes, until smooth and elastic.
4. Shape into a round loaf, transfer to a lightly greased bowl, and leave to rest.
5. Preheat the oven to 375°F and grease a 9-inch round cake tin with butter.
6. Roll out the dough and shape it into a circle.
7. Place the dough in the prepared tin, brush with butter, and leave to prove until doubled in size.
8. Bake for 25-30 minutes, until golden brown.
9. Allow to cool before slicing.
Scali bread is a wonderful way to experience classic Italian-American baking. Its simplistic ingredients bring robust flavor and an underlying sense of nostalgia to the table. If you’re looking for something a bit different, you could try adding rosemary and sea salt to give your Scali Bread an aromatic, savory twist. Or, create a sweet version with lemon zest, currants, and cinnamon.
No matter how you flavor it, there’s simply no wrong way to enjoy this classic Italian-American treat. So, if you’re looking to expand your culinary experiences and explore classic Italian cuisine, Scali Bread is sure to delight.