This article will discuss the savory and comforting flavours of the classic shaved beef noodle soup. Beef noodle soup is a traditional Asian soup that is often served as a main course. Common variations replace the traditional beef with pork, chicken, or lamb. It is a hearty dish that is sure to keep you warm and nourished all throughout the winter months. This recipe combines both robust flavours of dark soy sauce, shaoxing wine, and chicken broth, to create a delicious and extraordinarily aromatic soup broth. The following recipes will delve further into the preparation and cooking of this noodle soup dish.
# Savory Shaved Beef Noodle Soup
This classic Chinese dish is sure to please all with its distinct flavours and aroma. Authentic Chinese cooking requires specific ingredients and careful preparation; however, these recipes can be adapted to suit tastes and pantry availability.
– 2lbs of lean beef or lamb sirloin, thinly sliced
– 1 onion, sliced
– 2 tablespoons of dark soy sauce
– 2 tablespoons of shaoxing wine
– 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
– 8 cups of reduced sodium chicken stock
– 2 tablespoons of Chinese 5 spice powder
– 2-3 tablespoons of fish sauce
– 1 teaspoon of sugar
– 2 tablespoons of sesame oil
– 1 package of Chinese-style egg noodles
– Handful of cilantro, coarsely chopped
– White pepper to taste
1. Slice the beef/lamb sirloin into thin strips and set aside.
2. Slice the onion and set aside.
3. In a small bowl, combine soy sauce, shaoxing wine, vegetable oil, Chinese 5-spice, fish sauce, and sugar. Set aside.
1. In a large pot over medium-high heat, heat up 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil.
2. Once the oil is heated, add the sliced onions and stir fry for 2 minutes.
3. Add the beef and stir fry for an additional 3-4 minutes or until the beef is slightly browned.
4. Add the soy sauce mixture and reduce heat to medium. Stir to combine and ensure that all ingredients are well-covered in the mixture.
5. Pour in the chicken stock, cover the pot and simmer for 30 minutes or until the beef is cooked through and tender.
6. Once the beef has cooked, add the sesame oil, egg noodles and cilantro; stir to combine.
7. Simmer for an additional 5 minutes or until the egg noodles are cooked.
8. Finally, season with white pepper to taste.
Once the soup is cooked, serve in individual bowls with chopped cilantro as a garnish.
Savory shaved beef noodle soup provides a warm and comforting bowl of flavourful goodness. With its simple ingredients and unique flavour combination, it is a great winter dish to both enjoy and share with family.