Salchichon Soup – A Heady Blend of Spanish Ingredients
If you’re looking for a unique combination of flavors, you’ll definitely find it in salchichon soup. This classic Spanish dish is made from a number of ingredients, each adding its own unique flavor to the mix. From the earthy richness of chorizo to the subtle sweetness of carrots, each element in this hearty soup plays a supporting role while amplifying the flavor of the overall dish.
• 2 tablespoons olive oil
• 1 onion, finely chopped
• 4 cloves garlic, minced
• 2 tablespoons paprika
• 6 ounces salchichon, diced
• 2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
• 2 cups cooked chickpeas
• 2 cups cooked farro
• 2 carrots, diced
• 2 tablespoons of chopped parsley
• A pinch of fresh chili (optional)
1. Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring often, until lightly browned (about 5 minutes).
2. Add paprika and salchichon and cook, stirring often, for another 2 minutes.
3. Add the stock, chickpeas, farro, carrots, parsley, and chili, if using. Simmer over medium heat for 10-15 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
4. Taste and season with salt and pepper as needed.
5. Serve with a sprinkle of fresh parsley and a side of crusty bread.
This hearty and comforting Spanish soup is the perfect meal for a cold winter’s night. The combination of chorizo, carrot, chickpeas, and farro is surprisingly delicious, and the amount of paprika used in the recipe adds just enough of the classic smoky Spanish flavor. I always like to add a pinch of fresh chili for extra flavor, but that’s entirely up to you.
This wonderful salchichon soup is truly a unique take on a classic and is sure to please any crowd. Plus, it can easily be adapted to meet different dietary preferences. To make it vegetarian, simply replace stock with vegetable stock and omit the salchichon. And if you’re feeling adventurous, why not try experimenting with adding other Spanish spices like oregano or saffron?
There’s a comforting familiarity to Spanish cuisine and salchichon soup is no exception. Try this delicious recipe out, and discover the delectable mélange of flavors in this one-of-a-kind bowl of Spanish goodness.