Rolled Roast Beef – An Authentic Culinary Treat
Roast beef is perhaps one of the most classic dishes of all time. This particular recipe, rolled roast beef, is not only an enduring crowd pleaser but an absolute delight.
READY IN: 1.5-2 hours
• 4-5 pounds of beef, such as sirloin or rib-eye (2-3 tied together)
• 2 tsp garlic powder
• 2 tsp onion powder
• 2 tsp ground black pepper
• 1 tsp oregano
• 1 tsp thyme
• 2-3 bay leaves
• ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
• 2 tablespoon olive oil
• 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
• 2 teaspoons dijon mustard
• 4-5 large carrots, peeled and sliced
• 4-5 large onions, peeled and quartered
• 5-6 large potatoes, peeled and cubed
• 1-2 cups beef broth or stock
1. Preheat the oven to 425°F.
2. In a large bowl, mix together garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper, oregano, thyme, and bay leaves.
3. Rub the beef with the mixture and set aside.
4. In a separate bowl, mix together apple cider vinegar, olive oil, Worcestershire sauce, and dijon mustard.
5. Pour the mixture over the beef and rub it in.
6. Place the beef in the center of a roasting pan and add the carrots, onions, and potatoes to the pan.
7. Pour the beef broth or stock into the pan and cover with aluminum foil.
8. Bake in the preheated oven for 1.5 to 2 hours, or until the beef is cooked to your desired doneness (145°F for medium-rare, or 160°F for medium).
9. Transfer the beef to a cutting board, cover it with foil and let the beef rest for 10 minutes before slicing.
10. Serve hot with your favorite sides and Enjoy!
Bringing Together the Entire Family
Coming from a family of meat lovers, rolled roast beef was a staple growing up. The savory mashed potatoes and juicy chunks of beef coated with a faithful blend of herbs and spices always brought us together and around the dinner table.
It’s undeniable that this recipe is unpredictable. The aroma of the herbs wafting throughout the kitchen and the varied textures of the carrots and potatoes are a perfect pair for the succulent beef. There’s a feeling of accomplishment when it comes to rolling the beef and pan searing it pre-oven time.
What’s more, this particular recipe can be adapted with any extra condiments you desire. Feel free to substitute Worcestershire sauce for soy sauce and accompany it with some hot sauce or ketchup – the possibilities are truly endless.
An interesting take on this roast beef dish is its similarity to a Swiss tradition known as “Rouladen”. Originally created as a way to tenderize tougher cuts of beef, the concept remains similar to the rolled roast beef, with the only difference being that Rouladen famously calls for bacon, onions, and pickles – a great twist to add some crunch.
Every bite of rolled roast beef is a sensation to savor. From its humble beginnings of classic flavor profiles to its modern variations, this dish never fails as an enduring family favorite. Terrifically tender, savory, and utterly tantalizing – it’s a culinary masterpiece.
Give this recipe a try and see for yourself just how irresistible rolled roast beef can be. It’s sure to be the new crowd favorite. Happy Cooking!