A Decadent Ribbon Cake Recipe from Around the World
Are you looking for a show-stopping dessert to impress your family and friends? Then it’s time to give Ribbon Cake a try. This multi-layered sweet treat has been savored by sweet-tooths everywhere, and it’s sure to be a crowd pleaser at parties!
What is Ribbon Cake?
Ribbon Cake is a unique international dessert made with layers of spongy cake and luscious cream that form a distinct pattern with each slice. The vibrant colors that make up the cake are said to represent joy and celebration, which is why it’s been a popular dessert for holidays and special occasions throughout the centuries.
A Little Bit of History
The exact origin of Ribbon Cake is a bit of a mystery. While it’s generally believed that the delightful dessert has roots in Europe, historians have been able to trace the dish as far back as ancient China, where it was featured in royal feasts.
Unusual Ingredients and Cooking Methods
When it comes to making Ribbon Cake, you’ll need a little bit of patience. The distinct layers are achieved using traditional layering techniques such as rolling and angling the batter, and then adding alternating layers of cream and cake. The process is a bit time consuming, but the delicious result is definitely worth it!
Another unique element of this recipe is that it calls for both egg whites and yolks, which adds an unusual richness to the overall flavor. Lastly, the cream is stabilized with cornstarch, giving it an extra fluffy texture.
Ready to get cooking? Here’s what you’ll need:
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1 cup of all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 2 cups of heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons of cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- Food coloring (optional)
1. Separate the eggs into whites and yolks.
2. In a medium bowl, stir together the egg yolks and sugar until they are completely combined.
3. Sift the flour and baking powder into the mixture, and stir until a thick batter forms.
4. In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites until they’re stiff.
5. Gently fold the egg whites into the batter and pour into a greased and floured cake pan.
6. Bake at 350°F (175°C) for 35-40 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
7. Allow the cake to cool completely before assembling the cream and cake layers.
8. To make the cream, mix together heavy cream, cornstarch, vanilla extract and food coloring (optional) until well combined.
9. Place the cooled cake onto a cake board.
10. Begin layering the cake and cream by angling the cake slices at a slight angle and spreading each layer of cream generously between them.
11. Once all the layers are stacked, chill for at least 1 hour in the refrigerator before serving and enjoy!
Make It Your Own
This delightful dessert can be easily customized to suit everyone’s tastes. Try using different food coloring combos to create an ombre effect or swirl different flavors together using a piping bag.
As you can see, Ribbon Cake is an incredibly versatile dessert with a long and fascinating history. No wonder it’s a beloved favorite around the world! Grab all the ingredients and get ready to craft your own masterpiece, and if you’re looking for an even more unique version, why not give our Ribbon Cake recipe a try and discover the delightful possibilities of this special treat!