Red Velvet Cake Recipe from Paula Deen
Sure to delight, this Red Velvet Cake recipe from Paula Deen has become a true classic. Perfectly moist and with a delicious cream cheese frosting, this cake is sure to be the highlight of any occasion.
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons red food coloring
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease and flour two 9 inch cake pans.
- In a large bowl, sift together the flour, sugar, baking soda, cocoa powder, and salt. Add in the eggs and vegetable oil and whisk until blended.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the buttermilk, food coloring, vinegar and vanilla extract. Pour the liquid ingredients into the dry mixture and whisk until completely blended.
- Pour the batter into the prepared cake pans. Bake for 25 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean. Allow cakes to cool for 10 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Once cool, frost with your favorite cream cheese frosting.