Create A Delightful Somen Salad
The perfect recipe for summer is here and it is a simple-yet-delicious Somen Salad. This traditional Japanese dish is so light and refreshing that it won’t weigh you down like a usual summer salad would. Although this recipe is considered a part of the common Japanese cuisine, Somen Salad is an incredibly versatile dish that can be adapted to meet almost any flavor profile.
- 1 package of somen noodles
- 3 tablespoons of avocado oil
- 1/2 a cup of bell peppers, any color
- 1/4rd cup of cilantro, chopped
- 3 tablespoons of toasted sesame seeds
- 1/4rd cup of red onions, diced
- 1/4rd cup of mango, diced
- 1/4rd cup of scallions, diced
- 1/4rd cup of organic cotija cheese, grated
- 3 tablespoons of tamari
- 1/2 a lime, juiced
- Bring 2 quarts of water to a boil and add somen noodles.
- Boil the noodles for 3 minutes, then drain and rinse with cold water.
- In a bowl, mix together 1 tablespoon of avocado oil, tamari, and lime juice to make the dressing.
- In a separate bowl, combine the remaining avocado oil, bell peppers, cilantro, sesame seeds, red onions, mango, scallions, and cotija cheese.
- Toss the somen noodles in with the veggies and mix until everything is evenly coated.
- Slowly drizzle the dressing over the noodles and mix until everything is evenly coated.
- Serve cold and enjoy!
This unique recipe creates a perfect balance of textures and flavors. The nutritional content of this dish makes it a healthier alternative to heavy summer salads. The somen noodles are light and refreshing and the addition of the healthy fats from the avocado oil and the protein from the cotija cheese create a well-rounded dish. The tamari and lime juice add depth and complexity to the flavor profile and the crunchy sesame seeds provide a delightful contrast to the smooth noodles.
The versatility of the Somen Salad is what makes it special and can be easily adapted to fit any palette. From spicy chilies to a sweeter addition like mandarin oranges, the possibilities are endless. The lightness of the noodles make it perfect for a warm summer day or as a refreshing side dish to accompany a hearty entree.
Try this traditional Japanese dish today and be sure to impress your guests and family with an easy-to-make and delicious summer salad.