Recipe for Humble Pie
Humble pie is a delicious mix of savoury and sweet ingredients that is sure to be a hit with family and friends. This traditional dish is easy to make and is the perfect accompaniment to any meal. Serve it warm or at room temperature and enjoy a mouth-watering treat.
– 2 crusty puff pastry sheets
– 2 cups of cooked, finely diced steak
– 1/2 cup of finely diced mushrooms
– 1/2 cup of diced celery
– 1/2 cup of chopped onion
– 2 cloves of minced garlic
– 1/4 cup of all-purpose flour
– 1/2 teaspoon of beef bouillon powder
– 1/4 cup of warm beef stock
– 2 tablespoons of butter
– Salt and pepper, to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C).
2. Grease a 9-inch pie dish.
3. Cover the bottom and sides of the dish with a sheet of puff pastry, letting the ends of the pastry to hang over the sides.
4. In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter and add the diced mushrooms, celery, and onion. Saute until the vegetables are softened, about 4 minutes. Add the minced garlic and cook for 1 minute longer.
5. Sprinkle the flour over the vegetables and cook for another minute or two.
6. Pour in the warm beef stock and bouillon powder and stir until the sauce thickens.
7. Add the cooked steak and mix until combined. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
8. Pour the steak mixture into the pie dish and spread it evenly.
9. Place the second sheet of puff pastry over the filling and crimp the edges around the rim of the dish.
10. Brush the pastry with an egg wash – one egg beaten with 1 tablespoon of water – and cut a few small slits in the top.
11. Bake in the preheated oven for 25 minutes, or until the pastry is golden brown.
12. Serve warm or at room temperature. Enjoy!