Welcome to the World of Recado Chicken
Hello foodies, today’s recipe is one that’s going to take your taste buds on a culinary journey! What we have here is a unique dish with its origins in Central American cultures – Recado Chicken. This savory dish has been influenced by a variety of herbs and spices originating from Mexico, Guatemala and Belize.
This flavorful dish has quite theperplexing taste profile, as it contains some unusual and fairly unheard of ingredients, like annatto seeds and epazote. But you can bet these ingredients will transform the typical chicken breast into a dish that’ll leave your family and friends in awe. It’s definitely worth a try for its burstiness, as a little of this flavor will make your tongue tingle!
When it comes to preparing this dish, there are a few steps you’ll want to follow to get the best results. First, you’ll need to rub the chicken breast all over with the spice mixture. This is made up of garlic, onion, paprika and allspice, to name a few. Once the chicken has been seasoned, you’ll want to pour the achiote paste (annatto seed-infused) over the top and let it marinade for up to 6 hours.
Once cooked on the skillet until crispy, it’s time to enjoy the culinary delights of this dish! Serve with freshly toasted tortillas and provide a selection of crunchy toppings, like diced onions and jalapeños. Plus, feel free to add a bit of your own flair to complete the look.
Despite its perplexing ingredients, Recado Chicken is easy to recreate and bursting with flavor. Plus, it holds a unique position amongst other Mexican-influenced dishes like Chipotle Chicken Burrito and Toluca-Style Enchiladas. If you’d like to explore other Mexican-inspired dishes, check out our blog post, “Experience Mexican Cuisine at Home with These Classic Dishes”.
– 2 chicken breasts
– 2 cloves garlic, minced
– 1/2 onion, minced
– 1 teaspoon paprika
– 1 tablespoon allspice
– 2 tablespoons annatto seeds or achiote paste
– 2 teaspoons oregano
– 1/2 teaspoon cumin
– 2 tablespoons epazote (optional)
1. Mince the garlic, onions and oregano.
2. In a small bowl, mix together garlic, onion, paprika, allspice, oregano, cumin and epazote (if desired).
3. Rub the chicken breast with the spice mixture on all sides.
4. Place the chicken breast in a shallow dish and pour annatto seeds or achiote paste over the top.
5. Cover and marinade for 4-6 hours.
6. Heat a skillet over medium-high heat and add the chicken.
7. Cook the chicken for 5-7 minutes per side until crisp and fully cooked through.
When you’re done cooking, transfer the chicken onto a platter. If desired, add a selection of crunchy toppings and garnishes like diced onions and jalapeños. Serve the Recado Chicken with freshly toasted tortillas, some guacamole and sour cream. Enjoy!