Ms. Baker’s Rainbow Jello Cake – A Whimsical Showstopper!
If you’re looking for a one-of-a-kind dessert recipe, something guaranteed to turn heads and have people talking, we suggest you try Ms. Baker’s Rainbow Jello Cake! This delectable, multi-hued, showstopper of a dessert manages to be whimsical and sophisticated, all at the same time. Now, what makes this rainbow jello cake so special, you ask? For one, it’s made from a blend of classic American cuisine and Latin influences – from the many vibrant layers of jello, to the decadent cream cheese frosting!
We had the privilege of trying our aunt Ms. Baker’s delectable creation for the first time at our grandmother’s 79th birthday party. From the plethora of colors, to the sweet and creamy frosting, this dreamy jello cake had us all marveling in its beauty. Playing up the traditional aspects of a classic cake, with its layered construction, Ms. Baker infuses her own unique style, incorporating an explosion of colors and flavors.
The recipe itself is surprisingly simple, making use of just a handful of ingredients, but the addition of some pomegranate juice adds a zingy twist and transforms the cake into something truly unforgettable! After the initial assembly, a cream cheese-based frosting is prepared, and then generously spread on top and around the cake. Fittingly the final delightful accessory is a sprinkling of colorful sprinkles.
For the Joll-O Layers
-6 ounces each of red, orange, yellow and green jello
-6½ cups boiling water
-1¾ cups pomegranate juice
For the Cream Cheese-Based Frosting
-1 (8oz) package cream cheese, softened
-2 tablespoons butter, softened
-3¼ cups powdered sugar
-1 teaspoon vanilla extract
-3 tablespoons heavy cream
Prepare the Jello Layers
1. Grease a 9” round cake pan and set aside
2. Separately add the jello powder to 4 (1-cup) measuring cups.
3. Pour one cup of boiling water into each of the cups and stir until the gelatin has dissolved.
4. Stir in ¼ cup of pomegranate juice into each cup and mix until combined.
5. Carefully pour each jello layer into the prepared pan, one on top of the other in this order: red, orange, yellow and green.
6. Refrigerate until the layers have set, 2-3 hours.
Make the Cream Cheese-Based Frosting
1. Using a stand mixer, beat together the cream cheese and butter until light and fluffy, 2-3 minutes.
2. Gradually add the powdered sugar and vanilla extract, and beat on low until combined.
3. Increase the speed to medium-high and beat until fluffy, 2-3 minutes or until mixture has almost doubled in size.
4. With the mixer running, slowly pour the heavy cream and mix until combined.
5. Spread cream cheese mixture over chilled jello cake and refrigerate for about 10 minutes.
6. Slice and serve immediately, topped with colorful sprinkles!
We’re sure you’re going to love Ms. Baker’s Rainbow Jello Cake, a classic recipe with a modern and fun twist! Combining the vibrant colors of Latin cuisine, with the sweet and creamy flavors of American baking, this does not disappoint. So go ahead, surprise your loved ones with this eye-popping and delicious dessert!