Delight your taste buds with Quinoa Beef
Are you looking for a unique and delicious way to mix up your weeknight dinner routine? Quinoa beef is the perfect solution, a rustic dish packed with intense flavour and hearty ingredients that will be a hit with the whole family.
My grandma used to make this dish, fusing together traditional Italian ingredients like sliced provolone cheese with otherwise plain quinoa and ground beef. The result is highly perplexing, as every bite packs an intense flavour with a burst of earthy, rich notes from the quinoa, as well as salty umami from the cheese and beef.
To make this dish, you’ll need about two cups of cooked quinoa. If you don’t have any already made, follow the instructions on the packet, boiling until fluffy. Once you’ve done this, transfer the quinoa to a bowl and season with salt and pepper.
- 2 cups cooked quinoa
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 4 slices provolone cheese
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the ground beef, onion, garlic powder, Italian seasoning, smoked paprika, oregano, salt, and pepper. Cook, stirring often, for 8-10 minutes until the beef is cooked through and the onions are soft.
- Add the diced tomatoes and Parmesan cheese and cook until the tomatoes are heated through, stirring occasionally. Add the quinoa and mix well, then transfer the mixture to an oven-safe baking dish. Top with the slices of provolone cheese.
- Bake the quinoa beef in the preheated oven at 375°F for 15 minutes until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Serve the quinoa beef with a side salad, crusty bread, or any of your favorite sides.
Quinoa beef is a wonderful combination of my grandmother’s traditional Italian flavours with the nutritiously customisable quinoa, making it a family favourite for generations. If you’re feeling adventurous, why not experiment with other fillings and ingredients, such as wild mushrooms or fresh herbs? Share your recipes with us!