Have you ever gotten to the middle of the week and thought to yourself, “I want to make something different!” If you’re looking for a change of pace from your usual cooking, look no further than Portuguese Soup Emeril! This savory, flavorful soup is a great way to spice up the dinner routine, transporting you to the Mediterranean coast with its combination of eye-catching ingredients and unusual cooking techniques.
Bring the Taste of Portugal to Your Kitchen!
Portuguese Soup Emeril requires a few of the traditional ingredients found in many Mediterranean dishes, such as onions, garlic, and tomatoes. The secret ingredient is the chopped up Portuguese chorizo, which adds a unique combination of saltiness and smokiness to the soup. The other intriguing aspect of this recipe is that it calls for roasting the fresh turmeric before adding it to the pan. Once it’s all cooked up, the mixture of flavors and aromas is absolutely irresistible!
A French Twist on Portuguese Soup Emeril
If you’re in the mood, you can add a French twist to your Portuguese Soup Emeril with a simple swap of ingredients. Substitute the chorizo with andouille sausage for a spicy yet distinctly French influence, and top the soup off with a dollop of crème fraîche for a delicious, creamy addition.
Making Memories with Portuguese Soup Emeril
For each spoonful of Portuguese Soup Emeril, I can’t help but be reminded of one of my favorite summer vacations growing up. Every summer, my family would make a pilgrimage to a tiny, tucked away village in Portugal and experience the wonderful flavors of Europe’s Iberian Peninsula. Portuguese Soup Emeril captures the exact same flavors, aromas, and memories of that wonderful time, making me nostalgic and excited all at once.
The Recipe for Portuguese Soup Emeril
– 2 tablespoons olive oil
– 1 onion, diced
– 4 cloves garlic, minced
– 4oz Portuguese chorizo, diced
– 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
– 1 teaspoon turmeric
– 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
– 1 can diced tomatoes
– 4 cups chicken broth
– 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
– 2 tablespoons fresh oregano, chopped
1. Preheat a large pot over medium heat.
2. Add the olive oil and diced onion, stirring occasionally until soft and fragrant.
3. Add the garlic and chorizo, and continue to stir until the chorizo is lightly browned.
4. To the same pan, add the smoked paprika, turmeric, and ground pepper, stirring until combined.
5. Pour in the can of tomatoes, chicken broth, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and cover with a lid. Simmer for 30 minutes.
6. Just before serving, add the parsley and oregano and stir for an extra burst of flavor.
Serve hot with crusty bread and enjoy!
There you have it – Portuguese Soup Emeril! This classic dish of Portugal brings a unique blend of ingredients and cooking techniques which will transport you straight to the Mediterranean. Serve it up for a dinner at home just like you would find in a café in Lisbon. Enjoy!