People everywhere love the delicious and unique flavors of sisig, a Filipino dish of marinated pork that’s typically served either on its own or as a topping on rice. While classic pork sisig is a real crowd-pleaser, I particularly love pork belly sisig as it’s even tastier thanks to the extra fat and texture provided by the pork belly. This recipe for pork belly sisig is my go-to whenever I’m in need of a bit of comforting Filipino cuisine.
– 1 Kg Pork Belly
– 1 cup soy sauce
– 2 cloves of garlic
– 1/4 cup onion
– 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
– 2 tablespoons of sugar
– 1/4 cup ground black pepper
– Juice of 1 lemon
– 2 tablespoons of Calamansi juice
– ½ cup of mayonnaise
– 1 green bell pepper (chopped)
1. Rinse the pork belly in cold water and pat it dry.
2. In a bowl, mix together the soy sauce, garlic, onion, sugar, pepper, lemon juice and Calamansi juice.
3. Place the pork belly in a shallow dish and pour the marinade over it. Make sure that the pork is properly coated. Let it marinate overnight.
4. Preheat the oven to 175°C. Place the marinated pork belly in the oven and bake for 45 minutes or until the pork is cooked and the top is golden brown.
5. Remove from the oven and let cool.
6. Heat the vegetable oil in a pan over medium heat and fry the pork until golden brown and crisp.
7. Remove from the pan and set aside.
8. In the same pan, add the chopped bell pepper and sauté for 2-3 minutes.
9. Then add the fried pork and the mayonnaise, and stir to combine.
10. Cook for another 5 minutes, until everything is well-combined and heated through.
11. Serve with hot rice or on toasted bread.
This pork belly sisig is a flavorful and comforting snack or meal that comes together quickly and easily. The soy sauce marinade ensures that the pork is perfectly seasoned and the fried pork belly gives the dish a richness and crunch. And then there’s the mayonnaise, which adds that final creamy component to make it all that much more rich and delicious. This pork belly sisig is a classic Filipino dish that’s sure to be a hit with everyone, whether it’s served as part of a main meal, as an appetizer, or even as a midnight snack. Be sure to give it a try – you won’t be disappointed!