Experience Authentic Chinese Cuisine with Plum Sauce Chicken
Have you ever wanted to experience the tastes and aromas of China without taking the trip? Then you must try this classic dish of Plum Sauce Chicken! This recipe draws inspiration from traditional Chinese cuisine, but is also accessible enough for the modern kitchen. The unique combination of sweet and sour flavour and deep fried chicken bring a taste of joy and nostalgia to the palate.
• 4 boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into cubes
• 1/2 cup of plum sauce
• 2 tablespoons of soy sauce
• 1 dollar of cornstarch
• 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
• 1/2 cup of water
• 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
• 4 cloves of garlic, minced
• 2 teaspoons of freshly grated ginger
• 2 tablespoons of chopped green onions
1. In a large bowl, combine chicken, plum sauce, soy sauce, cornstarch, baking powder and water. Mix until combined and let the chicken marinate for at least an hour.
2. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Fry the chicken for about 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Add garlic and ginger to the pan and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
4. Increase heat to high and add the marinade. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the marinade thickens and the chicken is cooked through.
5. Serve Plum Sauce Chicken over hot cooked rice and sprinkle with green onions. Enjoy!
With its sweet, sour, and savoury flavours, Plum Sauce Chicken is a must-have dish in any Chinese repertoire. The marinade enhances the tenderness of the chicken and adds a unique flavour to the dish, while the deep frying step creates a crunchy texture. The garlic, ginger and green onions, create a perfect balance of flavour, while the resulting sauce makes the chicken irresistibly delicious.
This recipe is sure to please the palate of all fans of Chinese cuisine, and can be served as an appetiser or a main course. For a complete Chinese meal, serve it alongside a side of steamed vegetables and jasmine rice. You can also adapt the ingredients to suit other tastes, for example adding more soy sauce for an umami boost, or substituting chicken for tofu to make a vegan version.
Plum Sauce Chicken is a timeless and beloved dish from the Chinese culinary tradition. Try making this classic and you won’t be disappointed. Enjoy your journey into authentic Chinese cuisine!