The Secret of Picnic Cakes
Picnic cakes are popular treats for outdoor occasions like picnics, parties, and even just a day out in the sun. So why are they so beloved? The secret is in the lightness, flavor and variety that go into making picnic cakes unique.
Whether you’re making your own or buying ready-made picnic cakes, you’ll find that there’s something special about these tasty confections. Picnic cakes are usually light and spongy but full of flavor, depending on what kind you choose. And if you buy ready-made, you can also find ones that are decorated with frosting or edible decorations.
Types of Picnic Cake
One of the best things about picnic cakes is their sheer variety. From classic vanilla and chocolate cakes to zesty lemon and fruit-filled cakes, you can always find something to fit your particular tastes or the occasion. Here are some of the most popular types of picnic cakes you can find.
Fruit fillings are among the most popular ensembles for picnic cakes. Tasty fillings like strawberry-rhubarb, raspberry, and blackberry are often used in picnic cakes. They add a delightful tartness to an otherwise subtly sweet cake.
Chocolate cake is always a popular choice for picnics. Whether it’s a rich double-chocolate cake or a light and fluffy-textured one, chocolate enthusiasts will find lots to love in picnic cakes.
Red Velvet Cakes
Red velvet cake is a classic picnic cake variety. The light, moist layers of cake supplemented with cream cheese frosting, which adds a wonderfully tangy taste, makes for a delicious and unique picnic treat.
Lemon cakes are a great alternative to the sweeter picnic cake varieties. The sharp tang of the lemon contrasted with the sweetness of the cake creates a sublime flavor combination.
A Delicious Recipe to Try
If you want to try making your own picnic cake, this simple and delicious recipe is sure to be a hit.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 ¼ cups white sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour two 9-inch round cake pans.
- In a medium mixing bowl, stir together flour, baking powder and baking soda. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add yogurt and vanilla, beating until well blended.
- Gradually beat in flour mixture, mixing just until combined. Divide batter between pre-prepared bake pans.
- Bake in preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes, or until a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool in pans for 10 minutes, then turn out onto wire racks to cool completely.
- Once cooled, serve your delicious homemade picnic cakes and enjoy!
Picnic cakes are a beloved part of outdoor occasions and there’s a reason why. Light and spongy with a variety of delicious flavors and fillings, picnic cakes are sure to be a hit at any gathering. From classic favorites like chocolate and red velvet to fruity and tangy lemon cakes, there’s something for everyone’s palette. Give the recipe above a try and you’ll surely be surprised by these delightful treats.