Paula Deen’s Sweet & Savory Bread: A Deliciously Complex Treat
There’s something about the smell of freshly-made bread, wafting out of the oven, that strikes the perfect balance between savory and sweet. For me, the smell of Paula Deen’s Sweet & Savory Bread strikes this balance to perfection.
This Southern recipe has been a favorite of Deen family gatherings for years, and it’s no surprise why. The delightful aroma when you pull it from the oven tantalizes nearly all the senses, from the sight of the golden tops of the bread to the taste of the buttermilk, parsley, and dill that bring a surprisingly complex flavor. When I tried it for the first time, I was taken aback by the burst of flavor that popped in my mouth.
One of the great things about this recipe is its versatility; I’ve made variations of it with everything from cherries and pecans to bacon and mustard seeds. Each of the various combinations brings out a different aspect of the bread, like the crunchy sweetness of the cherries or the smoky kick of the bacon.
Using this recipe, I can pay homage to Southern culinary traditions while still getting to experiment with different flavor combinations to find the best one for me. Another great thing about the simplicity of this recipe is that it has a forgiving nature – it’s hard to ruin a batch, even for someone as inexperienced as I am.
-1/4 cup butter, melted
-1 cup buttermilk
-2 cups all-purpose flour
-2 teaspoons baking powder
-1/2 teaspoon baking soda
-1/4 teaspoon salt
-2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
-2 teaspoons fresh dill, chopped
-1/4 cup chopped fresh herbs, optional
-1/4 cup raisins, cranberries, or other dried fruits, optional
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
2. Grease a 9×5-inch loaf pan.
3. In a large bowl, mix the melted butter and buttermilk together.
4. In a separate bowl, mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together.
5. Combine the wet and dry ingredients and stir until just combined.
6. Fold in the parsley, dill, herbs, and dried fruits, if using.
7. Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan and spread it out evenly.
8. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean.
9. Let cool in the pan for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
There’s something magical about Paula Deen’s Sweet & Savory Bread that I never get tired of. Don’t be scared away by its seemingly complex flavor; give it a try, and let its aroma and sight help you find the perfect balance between the two for your taste buds.