Ah, panera bread french onion soup! Nothing quite compares to this delectable, savory soup on a cold winter night. With its combination of subtle flavors and unmistakable aroma, it’s no wonder why this soup is such a beloved classic.
Drawing inspiration from both French and American culinary traditions, Panera Bread French Onion Soup is a serious treat. The foundation of the soup is a rich, flavourful onion base simmered in vegetable stock. To bring in the classic French flavour profile, butter, sherry, thyme and bay leaves are added to the mix. Perplexity comes into play when shredded cheese is melted into the soup right before serving.
This soup is easy to make and can be tailored to suit personal tastes. For extra depth of flavor, try adding garlic, white wine or paprika. For extra burstiness, substituting the traditional cheese with a gruyère cheese variation can provide amazing results.
Cooking the soup itself is simple: sweat the onions in butter, add the vegetables to the pot, add the sherry and herbs, and then simmer. The last step is then to place the soup in the oven, melt the cheese into the soup and garnish with fresh herbs for an added flavor burst.
Panera Bread French Onion Soup is sure to be a hit at any dinner table. Whether you are a soup aficionado or just a soup lover, this soup should be at the top of your list of go-to recipes. And if you’re feeling adventurous, why not experiment with different ingredients or try out other recipes such as French Onion Soup with Bacon or French Onion Grilled Cheese. Bon appétit!
– 2 large onions chopped
– 4 tablespoons butter
– 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
– 4 cups vegetable stock
– ¼ cup sherry
– 1 teaspoon dried thyme
– 2 bay leaves
– Salt and pepper to taste
– 1 ½ cups shredded cheese
– 2 tablespoons finely chopped parsley (for garnish)
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. In a large pot, melt butter over medium heat. Add onion and sauté until golden brown, about 10 minutes.
3. Add flour and stir until thickened.
4. Add vegetable stock, sherry, thyme and bay leaves, stirring to combine. Increase heat to medium-high and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes.
5. Add salt and pepper to taste.
6. Ladle soup into four oven-safe bowls and top each bowl with cheese.
7. Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly.
8. Garnish with parsley and serve.