The Sweet and Sour Citrus Bliss of Orange Pop Cake
Relish the sweet and sour citrus of orange pop cake! This dessert is the perfect balance of fluffy sugary sponge, sweet and tangy orange pop glaze and a crunchy sugar crust. It’s perfect for a summer birthday party or an outdoor gathering.
This recipe has its roots in the Middle Eastern cuisine thanks to its use of orange pop and semolina. Orange pop is a traditional Middle Eastern soft drink made with orange juice, sugar, and carbonated water. This unique ingredient gives the cake its signature orange aroma and tart tang.
The key to really bringing the orange pop flavour out of this cake is to reduce the orange pop to a syrup consistency. This will take some patience but you’ll know you’re there when it’s reduced to a lightly syrupy consistency and coats the back of a spoon.
• 2 cups all-purpose flour
• 1 cup semolina
• 2 teaspoons baking powder
• 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
• 1/4 cup vegetable oil
• 1/2 cup orange juice
• 1/2 cup orange pop
• 1 teaspoon orange zest
• 2/3 cup white sugar
• 2 eggs
• 1/2 cup orange pop
• 1/4 cup white sugar
• 2 teaspoons orange zest
• 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
• 3/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
• 2 tablespoons white sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Grease and flour an 8-inch or 9-inch round cake pan.
2. In a large bowl, sift together the flour, semolina, baking powder, baking soda, and orange zest.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk together the oil, orange juice, orange pop, sugar and eggs until smooth.
4. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Be careful not to over-mix.
5. Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan and bake for 30-35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
6. Meanwhile, make the glaze by combining the orange pop, sugar, and orange zest in a small saucepan. Bring to a simmer and cook until the mixture has thickened and coats the back of a spoon.
7. Make the topping by combining the cinnamon, cardamom, and sugar in a small bowl.
8. When the cake is done baking, remove from the oven and immediately spoon the glaze over top. Sprinkle the topping over the glaze.
9. Allow the cake to cool in the pan before slicing and serving.
No matter the season, orange pop cake is sure to draw smiles and inspire joy. This sweet and sour citrus bliss is a delightful treat that is perfect for sharing with friends and family. The unique combination of ingredients will surely have you coming back for more. You can also try experimenting with other flavour combinations like lemon or lime.