Introducing Oat Chicken: An Unusual but Delicious Dish
When it comes to creative culinary creations, there’s one dish that stands out: oat chicken. Combining the traditional flavors of poultry with the unexpected crunchy texture of oats, oat chicken is a unique and surprisingly delicious dish. Whether you’re a die-hard fan of the classic chicken dinner or a budding home chef, oat chicken is sure to become a favorite in your household.
Exploring the Origins of Oat Chicken
Oat chicken is likely inspired by the many dishes of India, where oats are often used in cooking and desserts. The flavors and techniques used to prepare oat chicken resemble dishes like murgh musallam, a popular Mughlai dish typically served at wedding ceremonies. Oat chicken also features hints of Eurasian dishes such as khao suey, a dish typically made with chicken, coconut milk, and fried shallots.
Thanks to its unique ingredients and flavor, oat chicken has become a favorite of home cooks around the world. Its appeal is easy to understand; despite its unusual combination of flavors, it’s not difficult to make. The cheat’s version of the dish can be cooked in as little as 20 minutes, although for more robust flavors, you can take longer and add more ingredients.
Tasting the Difference with Oat Chicken
Making oat chicken can seem intimidating, but the end result is worth the effort. Imagine perfectly sautéed chicken with a crisp, crunchy coating of oats and aromatic spices all wrapped up in a savory and mouthwatering sauce. Instead of the usual side dishes like potatoes, corn, or rice, oat chicken pairs beautifully with a simple green salad and a creamy yogurt dipping sauce. To make the meal complete, serve with a few slices of warm flatbread.
A Recipe for Oat Chicken
Now let’s get to the part you’ve been waiting for: the recipe for this tantalizing dish!
- 2 chicken breasts, fillet and cut into cubes
- 1 cup of rolled oats
- ¼ tsp of garlic powder
- ¼ tsp of onion powder
- 1 tsp of ground cumin
- ½ tsp of garam masala
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tbsp of olive oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1 green chilli, deseeded and chopped finely
- 2 tbsp of tomato purée
- ½ tsp of sugar
- 1 tsp of fresh lemon juice
- 2-3 tbsp of fresh coriander or parsley, chopped
1. Put the oats into a shallow bowl and mix them with the garlic powder, onion powder, cumin, and garam masala. Season with salt and pepper.
2. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken cubes and cook for 8-10 minutes until golden brown.
3. Add the onions, garlic, and chilli and cook until the onions are softened, 5-7 minutes.
4. Add the tomato puree, sugar, and lemon juice and cook for a few minutes, until the sauce thickens.
5. Remove the chicken from the skillet and transfer to a plate. Add the oats mixture to the skillet and cook for 3-4 minutes, until the oats are toasted and golden.
6. Return the chicken to the skillet and toss to combine with the oats and sauce. Heat through for 3-4 minutes.
7. Transfer the oat chicken to a serving platter and sprinkle fresh herbs over the top. Serve warm with flatbread and a yogurt dipping sauce.
Oat chicken is a unique combination of flavors and textures. With its delicious mix of savory spices, crunchy oats, and creamy sauce, oat chicken is sure to become your go-to recipe for an exciting, flavorful meal. So don’t wait any longer to try this dish – get in the kitchen and give oat chicken a go!