Nonna’s Easter Bread Recipe: A Traditional Italian Delight
Ah Easter, that time of year when the family gathers over a warm kitchen table, laughter rings out through the air, and delicious aromas waft from the oven. Of all the Easter treats, Nonna’s delicious Easter bread stands out above the rest. Dating back centuries, Nonna’s recipe has been treasured from generation to generation.
- 7 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons active dry yeast
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 12 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup honey
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 cups warm milk
- 3/4 cup currants
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 3 tablespoons sesame seeds
- In a large bowl, whisk together the 4 cups of flour, yeast, and sugar.
- In a small saucepan, melt the butter with the honey, then pour into the bowl of flour.
- Whisk in the eggs and salt until just blended then add in the warm milk.
- Slowly add the remaining 3 cups of flour, stirring with a wooden spoon until the dough starts to come together.
- On a lightly floured surface knead the dough until smoothly pliable, then place in a greased bowl and let rise in a warm place until doubled in size (approx. 1 hour).
- Punch down the dough and knead in the currants, raisins, and sesame seeds.
- Divide the dough into four parts and roll into round loaves. Place on a baking sheet, cover and let rise again (approx. 30 minutes).
- Preheat the oven to 350 F and brush the loaves with an egg-milk wash.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Let cool and enjoy!
A Delicious Twist on an Italian Classic
Taste buds dance with delight as each bite of Nonna’s Easter bread bursts with flavor. Every ingredient is carefully chosen to capture the essence of this traditional Italian dish. Not just any ordinary Easter bread, Nonna’s recipe is a true labor of love, chock-full of sweet and savory ingredients.
For those seeking an even sweeter version, consider replacing the currants and raisins with chocolate chips or swirl some colorful sprinkles into the dough. While Nonna might not approve, it’s definitely worth a try!
No matter how you choose to Zazz up the original recipe, Nonna’s Easter bread is sure to add a special touch of warmth to the family table. This timeless Italian classic is the perfect way to celebrate the Easter season.