Moroccan Pastilla Recipe
Moroccan pastilla, also called bastilla, is a sweet and savory tart typically made with flaky pastry dough, cinnamon, and a combination of ground meat and toasted almonds. This delicious tart is often served as a main course or as an appetizer during special occasions. Follow this recipe to make a perfect Moroccan pastilla that your guests will love.
- 1 package puff pastry dough
- 1/2 pound ground chicken or beef
- 1 onion, finely minced
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon saffron threads
- 1 cup toasted almond slivers
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 eggs, beaten
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium-high heat. Add ground meat and onion and cook, stirring regularly, until meat is lightly browned and onion is translucent, about 5 minutes. Add cinnamon, ginger, turmeric, pepper, and saffron and cook, stirring regularly, for 2 more minutes.
- Remove skillet from heat and stir in toasted almond slivers and parsley. Transfer mixture to a plate and set aside.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out one sheet of puff pastry dough. Using a 9-inch round tart tin as a template, cut out the dough and place it in the tin. Gently press the dough into the bottom and sides of the tin.
- Spread the cooked meat mixture evenly into the pastry shell. Roll out the second pastry dough sheet and place over the top of the pastry shell. Use a small knife to trim away any excess pastry dough. Pierce the top of the pastry with a fork in several places.
- In a bowl, combine together melted butter, honey and eggs. Brush the top of the pastry with the egg mixture. Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until pastry is lightly browned and crisp on top. Let cool completely before serving.
Moroccan pastilla is a delicious treat that’s sure to impress your guests. Serve it as a main course or an appetizer and be prepared for rave reviews from everyone. Enjoy!