Moroccan Batbout – Delicious and Hearty Flatbread
Batbout, also known as Msemen or Rghaif, is a traditional Moroccan flatbread found in many dishes throughout the country. It is made with a simple dough of flour, salt, and water, and can be stuffed with sweet or savory fillings. Batbout is often served as an accompaniment to breakfast, lunch, or dinner, as well as at celebrations such as weddings and other festivities.
Batbout is known for its delicious taste and hearty texture. It has a flaky crust and a soft, chewy interior that can be filled with any number of ingredients. It is traditionally served hot and can be eaten alone or with a variety of dishes. It is also very easy to make, so it is a great dish to share with friends and family.
Making Batbout is a very simple process. First, the ingredients are combined in a bowl and slowly kneaded into a dough. The dough is then left to rest before it is rolled into thin rounds and cooked in a skillet or griddle. The finished Batbout can be filled with any combination of savory or sweet ingredients such as cheese, olives, jam, or honey.
Recipe: Moroccan Batbout Flatbread
– 2 cups all-purpose flour
– 1 teaspoon salt
– 1 cup warm water
– 1 tablespoon olive oil (optional)
– Toppings of your choice
1. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour and salt.
2. Slowly add the water and olive oil, if using, and mix with your hands until the dough comes together.
3. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 8-10 minutes, or until the dough is soft and pliable.
4. Place the dough in a greased bowl, cover, and let it rest for 1-2 hours.
5. Once rested, divide the dough into 8 equal pieces.
6. On a lightly floured surface, roll each piece of dough into a thin round, about 6 inches in diameter.
7. Heat a griddle or skillet over medium-high heat and lightly grease with oil.
8. Place one of the dough rounds onto the griddle and cook for 2-3 minutes, or until lightly golden brown and puffy.
9. Flip the dough over and continue to cook for an additional 2-3 minutes.
10. Repeat with the remaining dough rounds.
11. Serve hot with desired toppings. Enjoy!