Money Cake: Decadent and Delicious
Money Cake is an old-fashioned cake with an anything-but-old-fashioned flavor and texture. Perfectly sweet. Perfectly moist. Perfectly delicious. There’s something inherently captivating about this classic recipe that’s so hard to resist.
The original recipe has been around for ages, but if you are looking for something a bit bolder, this is it. Special ingredients like multi-colored money bills, cinnamon and cayenne pepper, give this cake a unique spin -it’s the perfect blend of sweet, spicy and exotic.
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup room-temperature unsalted butter, cut into 4 pieces
1 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs, at room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup buttermilk, at room temperature
2 cups pearl-shaped multi-colored money bills
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease a 9-inch round cake pan.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, cayenne pepper, and salt until combined.
3. In a large bowl using a stand mixer, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 4 minutes. Add the eggs, one at a time, and the vanilla extract, and mix until well combined.
4. Add the flour mixture, alternately with the buttermilk, beginning and ending with the flour mixture. Mix until just incorporated.
5. Add the multi-colored money bills and mix until just incorporated.
6. Pour the batter into the greased cake pan and bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
7. Cool the cake in the pan for 15 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
A Bite of Heaven
Money Cake is a special treat that is sure to tantalize the taste buds. With a flavor combination of sweet and spice, plus the unique addition of money bills, Money Cake is bound to be the standout dessert at the next potluck or special gathering.
And it’s not just the taste that is special – the money bills bring a hefty dose of color to the cake as well. The clash of pinks, blues and greens are both a visual and culinary pleasure.
Much like its name suggests, making Money Cake is indeed a smart investment. Make this decadent cake once and you will see why it has been a favorite of cooks and bakers throughout the years.