Introducing a Mocha Roll Cake
Do you ever wish you could add a bit of coffee-shop flare to a simple homemade cake? Now, you can with a decadent Mocha Roll Cake. This classic treat is sure to satisfy your sweet tooth while giving your taste buds a refreshing jolt of caffeinated flavor.
Creating a Fluffy Base
This recipe begins with a light and fluffy mocha cake. The cake relies on the perfect balance of ingredients for structure, including cake flour and whipped egg whites. Meanwhile, cocoa powder and espresso powder give the cake its signature mocha flavor.
Decorating with a Rich Coffee Glaze
Once the cake is baked, it’s time to decorate. A simple mixture of powdered sugar and brewed espresso is whisked together to create a decadent glaze. Simply spread the glaze over the cake and the mocha flavor really pops. It’s up to you if you want to add a few sprinkles of cocoa powder for a more dramatic look.
Rolling the Cake
Once the mocha glaze is spread over the cake, it’s time to roll it up! Slice off the edges of the cake and roll it up as tightly as possible. Once rolled, transfer the roll to a serving plate and you’re ready to enjoy.
The Final Touch
Finally, it’s time for the final touch. Sprinkle some powdered sugar over the surface of the cake for a simple and elegant look. This Mocha Roll Cake is sure to impress family and friends alike.
– 2 cups cake flour
– ½ teaspoon baking powder
– 4 large eggs, separated
– + ⅛ teaspoon cream of tartar
– 1 cup granulated sugar, divided
– 9 tablespoons butter, melted
– 2 teaspoons cocoa powder
– 1 tablespoon espresso powder
– 2 cups brewed espresso
– ¾ cup powdered sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Line a 10×15 inch pan with wax paper.
2. Whisk together flour and baking powder in a medium bowl and set aside.
3. Beat egg whites and cream of tartar on medium speed until stiff peaks form.
4. In a separate bowl, beat egg yolks with ¾ cup of the sugar until mixture is pale and thick.
5. Add melted butter, cocoa powder and espresso powder to the egg yolks, mixing until fully incorporated.
6. Slowly add the flour mixture to the egg yolk mixture and mix until just combined.
7. Using a rubber spatula, fold in the egg whites until the batter is homogeneous.
8. Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 15 minutes.
9. In a medium bowl, whisk together brewed espresso and the remaining ¼ cup of granulated sugar until the sugar is dissolved.
10. Place cooled cake on a flat surface and pour the espresso glaze over the top. Use a spatula to spread the glaze evenly over the cake.
11. Carefully roll the cake, place it in an airtight container and chill in the refrigerator for at least an hour.
12. To serve, transfer the cake to a serving plate and sprinkle with powdered sugar. Enjoy!