Mi Quang – A Delightful Vietnamese Soup
Mi Quang is a unique and delicious noodle soup from Vietnam with a variety of clever ingredients. This flavorful soup originated in the Tajin Province, and is now enjoyed all over Vietnam. Although Mi Quang is normally served in a large bowl, it can also be served as a single-serve soup, making it an ideal lunch or dinner meal.
What Is Mi Quang?
Mi Quang is a classic Vietnamese soup made with boiled rice noodles, usually served with pork, shrimp, fish cakes, and a wide array of herbs, peppers, and flavorful spices. The various ingredients are typically cooked together in one pot to give the soup a deep, rich flavor. The dish is usually garnished with freshly cut herbs, crunchy peanuts, and bean sprouts, lending to its beloved crunchy texture.
What Makes Mi Quang So Appealing?
Mi Quang has all of the flavors, spices, and textures that one would expect in a Vietnamese soup. It is a hearty soup, perfect for colder months, with a bit of a spicy kick that adds an extra zing to the dish. With fresh herbs, exciting texture combinations, and enjoyable aromas, Mi Quang is sure to please everyone who tastes it.
Quick & Easy Mi Quang Recipe
- 2 tablespoons of oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon of minced ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon of ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon of ground coriander
- 2 tablespoons of fish sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon of sugar
- 4 cups of chicken stock
- 1/2 pound of pork shoulder, thinly sliced
- 1/2 pound of shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 celery stalks, sliced
- 1 cup of bean sprouts
- 1 package of rice noodles
- 2 tablespoons of chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup of chopped roasted peanuts
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium-high heat.
- Add the garlic, ginger, turmeric, and coriander, stirring for one minute.
- Stir in the fish sauce, sugar, chicken stock, pork, and shrimp. Bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the celery and bean sprouts and simmer for another 10 minutes.
- Add the rice noodles and continue to simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Turn off the heat and stir in the cilantro and roasted peanuts.
- Ladle Mi Quang into individual bowls and serve warm.
Taste the Authentic Flavors of Vietnam
Mi Quang is the perfect introduction to the myriad flavors of Vietnam. This hearty dish is both comforting and exciting, with its mix of textures and piquant spices. Serve Mi Quang for a delightful midweek meal – your family or guests will be delighted with this delicious dish.