A Deliciously Authentic Mexican Milhojas Cake
What do you get when you combine a traditional Mexican dish with a layered flaky dough? The answer is Mexican Milhojas Cake, a savory and sweet delicacy that is sure to tantalize your taste buds.
This dish is a Mexican spin on the classic French mille-feuilles, also known as “thousand leaves”. Milhojas, or literally “a thousand yorks”, is made by alternate layers of a pastry dough with a delicious cream or filling and then topped with a crumb topping. What makes this dish a truly unique experience is its combination of flavors: sweet and savory.
To start, the pastry dough for Mexican Milhojas Cake is created by combining butter, flour, and sugar. This dough is rolled out and cut into rectangles, before being layered in a baking dish. A variety of traditional Mexican fillings and toppings are used, such as chorizo and cheese, plantains, refried beans, and guacamole. Once the fillings and toppings are added, the milhojas cake is ready to bake!
Mexican Milhojas Cake stands out from other classic dishes due to its fusion of ingredients and flavors, giving you a truly unique and delicious experience. In this way, it draws on Mexican culinary traditions such as empanadas, chiles en nogada, and flan, all of which feature layers of pastry and unique fillings.
The best way to enjoy Mexican Milhojas Cake is to share in a family gathering. Its layered structure makes it an ideal dish for large groups, as all of the components are already pre-made. Its combination of flavors make it a crowd-pleaser for all palettes; sweet for the kids, and for more mature palates, it delivers the unique combination of savory and sweet. Be sure to serve it with a side of crema Mexicana to add a cool and creamy finish to the dish.
If you’re ready to experience the flavors of Mexico, then its time to try Mexican Milhojas Cake. It’s sure to add some extra deliciousness to any dinner table.
– 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
– 2 sticks (1 cup) unsalted butter, at room temperature
– 1/2 cup sugar
– 1 teaspoon salt
– 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
– 2 eggs
– 2 tablespoons milk
– 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
– Your choice of fillings and toppings
1. Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Grease a 9-inch round cake pan and set aside.
2. In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, one at a time.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, and baking powder.
4. Add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture and mix until combined. If the dough is too dry, add the milk and mix until just combined.
5. Gently roll out the dough onto a lightly floured surface and cut into 4-inch rectangles.
6. Place the rectangles in the prepared cake pan. Layer with your choice of fillings and toppings.
7. Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until the top is golden brown.
8. Let cool before serving. Enjoy!