Mediterranean Spanakopita Recipe
A popular Mediterranean dish, Spanakopita is a tasty savory pastry pie with spinach and feta cheese that is a great vegan or vegetarian option. This traditional dish is made of layered phyllo dough filled with a spinach and feta cheese mixture. Rich in flavor and texture, it is a flavorful main dish for a Greek or Mediterranean-inspired meal.
– 2 tablespoons olive oil
– 1 small onion, chopped
– 2 cloves of garlic, minced
– 12 ounces spinach, chopped
– 2 tablespoons fresh dill, chopped
– 1/2 cup feta cheese, crumbled
– 1/3 cup ricotta cheese
– 3 tablespoons olive oil
– 2 packages of phyllo dough
– Salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add the olive oil.
3. Add the onion and garlic and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
4. Add the spinach and dill and cook until wilted, about 5 minutes.
5. Remove from heat and add the feta cheese, ricotta cheese, and olive oil and mix until combined.
6. Place one sheet of the phyllo dough in the bottom of a 9-inch pie plate and brush with oil.
7. Place another piece of phyllo on top and brush with oil.
8. Repeat with all of the phyllo dough, brushing each sheet with oil before adding the next.
9. When the last sheet is in place, pour the spinach and feta cheese mixture into the center and spread evenly.
10. Fold up the edges of the phyllo dough to encase the filling.
11. Brush the top of the past with oil and bake for 30-35 minutes until golden brown.
12. Let cool slightly before serving. Enjoy!