Mediterranean Halva Recipe
Halva is a traditional, Mediterranean sweet treat that is rich, nutty, and full of flavor. It is a staple in many countries and is often served as a dessert. This recipe shows you how to create a classic style halva, with a few modern variations that make it even better.
Halva is made with tahini (sesame seed paste) and sugar, along with a few other ingredients. While it’s a relatively simple recipe, the varied flavors and textures create a truly unforgettable dessert. Be sure to experiment by adding a variety of nuts and spices for added flavor.
• 1/2 cup tahini
• 2/3 cup light brown sugar
• 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
• 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
• 1/4 cup pistachios, chopped
• 1/4 cup blanched almonds, chopped
• 3 tablespoons honey
• 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
• 2 teaspoons rose water
• 1/4 cup sweetened shredded coconut
1. In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat.
2. Add the tahini and stir to combine.
3. Add the brown sugar and salt and stir until the sugar is completely dissolved.
4. Remove from heat and stir in the almonds, pistachios, honey and cardamom, stirring to combine.
5. Add the rose water and coconut and stir until everything is evenly distributed.
6. Grease an 8-inch baking dish and pour the mixture in, spreading it out evenly.
7. Bake in preheated oven for 25-30 minutes, or until golden brown.
8. Allow the halva to cool in the pan for a few minutes before serving. Enjoy!