A Twist to the Traditional Baklava: Mediterranean Baklava
Baklava is a traditional Middle Eastern dessert made of layers of crunchy phyllo dough, sweet syrup, and nuts. The classic Baklava recipe has been around for centuries, and includes a combination of walnuts and cinnamon for the filling. However, with a few more flavor elements, this traditional dessert can be taken to the next level.
Enter the Mediterranean Baklava. This simple twist features all the traditional flavors of Baklava, but with the addition of orange blossom water, dates, and is topped with pomegranate for a unique flavor and beautiful presentation. Get ready to prepare one of the most unique and delicious desserts that you’ll ever make.
Mediterranean Baklava Recipe
- 20 sheets of phyllo dough
- 1 cup of unsalted, melted butter
- 2 cups of crushed walnuts
- 1 cup of chopped dates
- 2 teaspoons of ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon of orange blossom water
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1/2 cup of water
- Preheat oven to 350˚F. Grease a 9×13 baking dish with butter.
- In a bowl, combine walnuts, dates, cinnamon, and orange blossom water. Mix until combined.
- Begin layering the phyllo dough in the baking dish. Start by brushing the first layer with melted butter and sprinkle with a tablespoon of the nut mixture. Repeat this process with 8 more layers for a total of 10 layers.
- Now make the syrup. In a saucepan, combine sugar and water. Heat over medium-high heat and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Once syrup comes to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes. Simmer until you have a thick syrup.
- Once syrup is done, pour over the baklava and spread evenly.
- Continue to layer 10 more phyllo sheets on top, brushing each layer with butter and sprinkling with the nut mixture. Once all layers are done, brush top layer with remaining butter.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until top is golden brown.
- When finished baking, let cool for about 15-20 minutes. To finish, sprinkle pomegranate arils over the top.
- Serve and enjoy!
Farewell Traditional Baklava, Hello Mediterranean Baklava!
Now that you’ve tried this delicious Mediterranean Baklava recipe, you’ll be ready to say farewell to the traditional baklava recipe. With a beautiful presentation, unique flavors, and delicious taste, you’ll be sure to impress your friends and family with this new take on an old classic. Enjoy!