Luscious Meatloaf with Rich Mushroom Gravy
Nothing screams comfort food quite like a hearty and savory meatloaf with a serving of flavorful, mushroom-based gravy. Truly a classic, this recipe does justice to the delectable combination of tangy, savory, and just the slightest bit of sweet, creating the perfect balance of taste. Plus, it’s super simple and easy to prepare, and the perfect choice for a weeknight dinner.
– 2 lbs. ground beef
– 2 eggs
– 1 small onion, minced
– 1 cup crushed oats
– 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
– Salt and pepper to taste
– 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
– 2 tablespoons butter
– 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
– 2 cups beef or chicken stock
– 2 teaspoons fresh thyme, minced
– Fresh parsley, chopped
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). In a large bowl, combine ground beef, eggs, onion, oats, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper. Mix together with your hands and shape into a loaf. Place on a baking sheet and bake for 1 hour.
2. In a saucepan over medium heat, melt butter and add sliced mushrooms. Cook until the mushrooms are tender and lightly browned, about 8 minutes. Stir in flour and cook for 1 minute. Gradually add stock, stirring constantly until thickened. Stir in thyme and season with salt and pepper to taste.
3. When the meatloaf is done cooking, pour the mushroom gravy over the top and let simmer for 5 minutes. Sprinkle with parsley before serving.
This classic dish is best served with mashed potatoes and a fresh green vegetable. Its savory, yet slightly sweet gravy combined with the juicy ground beef is a mouth-watering combination that will leave your taste buds begging for more. Whether you’re a pro in the kitchen, or just learning the ropes, this is a recipe you’ll definitely want to keep in your arsenal and share with family and friends.