Meatloaf Southern Style
Nothing says home-cooked comfort food quite like traditional southern-style meatloaf. This classic dish seems to have a permanent place on the dinner tables of families in the south. This recipe puts a delicious new spin on this traditional favorite!
This meatloaf recipe brings together all of the tasty ingredients you’d expect for something that’s southern-style. The addition of bacon, seasonings, and a tasty quick-cooking BBQ sauce put a new twist on the classic! This meal has a good balance of flavors and textures that provide a downright delicious dish.
This meatloaf also makes a great make-ahead meal. To save time, you can prepare this dish in advance and then bake it when you’re ready to serve it. It tastes just as wonderful freshly made, or if you’ve refrigerated or frozen it in advance. Serve it with a side of vegetables or mashed potatoes for the full comfort food experience.
-1 lb lean ground beef
-4 strips of lean bacon, chopped
-1/2 onion, chopped
-2 cloves of garlic, minced
-1/2 cup breadcrumbs
-1 egg, beaten
-2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
-1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
-1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
-1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
-1/2 cup barbecue sauce
-Salt and pepper, to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F. Grease a 9×5-inch loaf pan, or line with parchment paper.
2. In a large bowl, mix together the ground beef, chopped bacon, onion, garlic, breadcrumbs, beaten egg, Worcestershire sauce, oregano, thyme, and cinnamon.
3. Spread the mixture evenly into the prepared loaf pan.
4. Bake for 30 minutes in the preheated oven.
5. Remove from the oven and spread the barbecue sauce evenly over the top of the meatloaf.
6. Return the meatloaf to the oven and bake for an additional 15 minutes, or until the internal temperature of the meatloaf reaches 160°F.
7. Allow the meatloaf to rest for 10 minutes before slicing. Serve with mashed potatoes or a side of vegetables for a delicious southern-style meal!