As the weather warms, there’s no better way to feed your family’s sweet tooth than with a batch of matcha bread. This flavorful and slightly sweet bun is full of Asian-inspired ingredients and appealing green hue, resulting in one of the most unique breakfast recipes out there.
2.5 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 tablespoon matcha powder
1 teaspoon baking powder
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 large egg
1/4 cup plain yogurt
1/4 cup milk
1. Preheat oven to 375°F
2. Whisk together all the dry ingredients, flour, sugar, baking soda, matcha powder, and baking powder
3. In a separate bowl, mix together the vegetable oil, egg, yogurt, and milk
4. Combine the wet and dry ingredients and mix until a dough forms.
5. Grease a small loaf pan, then dust with all-purpose flour
6. Pour the dough into the pan and smooth to flatten.
7. Bake for 25 – 30 minutes or until golden brown.
This unique recipe will have you and your family feeling like you’re taking a mini-vacay to the east with each delightful bite. Matcha powder not only adds a pleasant green hue to the bread, but also a delicate bitterness bringing balance to the sweetness of the bun. The dough is soft and fluffy after cooking, yet slightly crispy on the outside.
This matcha bread recipe is easy to customize and make your own. Try swapping out the plain yogurt for an almond or honey flavored option. Swap out the vegetable oil for coconut oil for a tropical twist. Try adding a few teaspoons of black sesame seeds or ground ginger for an extra depth of flavor.
If you’re looking for something equally as delicious but a bit more savory, try our Black Sesame Bread. If you’re looking for something a bit healthier, matcha pancakes are a great alternative. Wherever your tastes take you, let matcha bread take you there.