A Creamy and Delicious Maitake Mushroom Soup
Gathering around the table for a warm bowl of soup is a great way to enjoy the cozy Fall season. Whether you’re looking for something new to try or to add to your regular soup rotation, this maitake mushroom soup will add a delightful flavor to any harvest meal.
Maitake mushrooms are prized for their unique flavor and meaty texture, often seen in Asian cuisine. With this recipe, they are combined with two different creamy bases – a simple broth and a rich cream sauce – to make an indulgent soup that won’t disappoint. A hint of garlic and parsley add extra zing to the bowl, while fresh shiitake mushrooms lend an earthy, woodsy note.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 pound maitake mushrooms, white-stemmed and sliced thickly
- 1/2 pound shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Melt butter in a large pot on medium heat.
- Add onions and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the flour, cook for 1 minute.
- Whisk in the vegetable broth and cream, reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the parsley, garlic, maitake and shiitake mushrooms, season with salt and pepper.
- Cook until the mushrooms are tender, about 10-15 minutes more.
- Serve the maitake mushroom soup hot.
This maitake mushroom soup is a delightful Fall treat that’s rich, flavorful and deceptively easy to make. While the creamy base, garlic, parsley and shiitakes add complexity, it’s in the maitake mushrooms that all the flavor lies. Whether you personally forage for maitake mushrooms or pick them up from your local grocer, this soup is a great way to pay homage to a traditional Asian culinary staple.
Additionally, it’s a great choice for those looking to add a twist to classic recipes. For example, try adding a pinch of nutmeg or replace the parsley with thyme for an aromatic take on traditional cream of mushroom soup. For an extra boost of protein, you can also chop up some cooked chicken or shredded cheese to add into your bowl.
No matter how you decide to tweak it, this maitake mushroom soup is sure to become an autumnal favorite in no time.