Welcome to my kitchen! Today I would like to share a delicious Mahogany Velvet Cake recipe. Not only is this special treat simple and easy to make, it offers an interesting combination of flavours and textures that will treat the taste buds.
Originating in the 1950s, this cake has been a favourite of many in the UK, North America and Australia. With both a hint of bitter and sweet present in the cake, Mahogany Velvet Cake will tantalise your senses.
For the cake
– 1 cup all-purpose flour
– 3/4 cup cocoa powder
– 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
– 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
– 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
– 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
– 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
– 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
– 1/4 cup butter, melted and cooled
– 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
– 1/4 cup granulated sugar
– 2 large eggs, room temperature
– 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
– 1/2 cup good quality coffee, room temperature
– 1/4 cup sour cream, room temperature
For the frosting
– 1/4 cup butter, softened
– 1 1/2 cups confectioner’s sugar
– 2 tablespoons heavy cream
– 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
– 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
To make the cake
1. Preheat your oven to 350°F/175°C and generously grease a 9-inch springform pan.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, salt, ginger, cardamom, and allspice.
3. In a separate bowl or stand mixer, cream the butter and sugars together until light and fluffy, about 3-4 minutes.
4. Add the eggs one at a time, and then stir in the vanilla.
5. Alternate adding the dry ingredients and the coffee, beginning and ending with the dry ingredients. Mix until just combined.
6. Stir in the sour cream until it is evenly distributed through the batter.
7. Spread the batter into the greased pan, and bake for 25-30 minutes. Allow to cool before frosting.
To make the frosting
1. In a medium bowl, beat the softened butter until smooth and creamy.
2. Gradually add in the confectioners’ sugar and cocoa powder.
3. Beat in the cream and vanilla extract until no lumps remain.
4. Spread the frosting over the cooled cake and enjoy!
This Mahogany Velvet Cake is a unique delight. With unexpected flavours and complex textures, it stands out from the ordinary. Coffee fans will appreciate the subtle kick, while chocolate lovers will enjoy the richness from the cocoa powder. The special frosting is the pièce de résistance, adding just the right amount of sweetness without masking the other delightful flavours.
Whether you decide to share this cake or keep it all for yourself, I guarantee the Mahogany Velvet Cake will be a hit. Bon appetit!