Deliciously Dense Lisbon Chocolate Cake
Are you craving something sweet with bold chocolatey goodness? Look no further than the delectable Lisbon Chocolate Cake. This Portuguese classic is a dense, luscious confection that will tantalize your taste buds the minute you taste it.
The Origins of Lisbon Chocolate Cake
This traditional cake is believed to have originated in Lisbon during the 17th century and is still a staple in the region today. Using slightly different ingredients and methods, people across Lisbon make their own versions of the cake, each having their own subtle twist and variation to the recipe.
What Makes Lisbon Chocolate Cake So Delicious?
Lisbon Chocolate Cake has a stunningly simple and sinfully delicious flavor that prepares the palette for a luscious cake experience. Made with a dark, high-quality cocoa powder and dark, bittersweet chocolate melted into the batter, it produces a dense and moist cake with a unique flavor that is sure to be a hit. The cake is baked at a low temperature to ensure an extra-dense texture and a moist and rich end result.
- 1 and 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup minus 1 tablespoon (100 g) good quality dark chocolate – melted
- 3/4 cup (70 g) dark cocoa powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 large eggs – at room temperature
- 1 cup (250 ml) full fat Greek yogurt
- 3/4 cup (175 g) light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) vegetable oil
- Preheat oven to 325°F (170°C). Grease and flour a 9-inch (23 cm) cake pan.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and baking soda. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, yogurt, sugar and oil until smooth. Stir in the melted chocolate until fully combined.
- Add the dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan and bake for 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Let cool for 10 minutes before turning the cake out of the pan onto a cooling rack.
- Serve at room temperature. Enjoy!
Our Experiences with Lisbon Chocolate Cake
We’ve been dabbling in the art of baking Lisbon Chocolate Cake for a while and every time it just keeps getting better. This cake is definitely one for the books in terms of deliciousness. With the simple and straightforward ingredients, baking a luscious cake is made easy and utterly enjoyable!
In terms of variants and similar recipes, many people choose to top the cake with a dusting of cocoa powder or a generous blanket of buttercream. People in other parts of Europe make a similar eggless chocolate cake called an Sachertorte, but Lisbon Chocolate Cake is unique in that it contains both dairy products and chocolate in its recipe.
All in all, Lisbon Chocolate Cake is a delectable treat that is sure to impress. If you’re on a quest for the perfect chocolate cake, grab your apron and try out this timeless Portuguese classic. We guarantee you won’t be disappointed! Enjoy!