Lenten Cake – A Deliciously Creative Recipe
The Lenten season is upon us and as many of us look for ways to bring joyful, mindful traditions into our home, creating a delicious Lenten cake is a wonderful way to celebrate this liturgical season. Whether you are familiar with this cultural-religious tradition or long to learn more, this recipe is sure to delight.
For this Lenten Cake, we’ll be combining a base of traditional ingredients, like white flour, fruit, eggs, and sugar, with surprising, seasonal additions, like oranges, olive oil, and saffron. Together, these flavors blend together beautifully to create a tasty, nuanced cake.
- ¾ Cup All-Purpose Flour
- 1 Tbsp. Baking Powder
- Pinch of Salt
- 2 Large Oranges (Zest and Juice)
- 3 Eggs
- ¾ Cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- ½ Cup White Sugar
- 2 Tsp. Saffron Strands
- 1 Cup Dried Fruit, Chopped
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C)
- Combine flour, baking powder, and salt in small bowl and set aside.
- Using a food processor or cheese grater, coarsely grate peeled oranges and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, olive oil and sugar until light and creamy.
- Mix in the orange zest and saffron strands.
- Combine the flour mixture, chopped fruit, and orange juice into the egg mixture.
- Mix everything together until no lumps remain.
- Grease a 9-inch round cake pan with butter, pour the mixture into the pan, and bake for 30 minutes.
- Once cake has cooled and is ready to serve, you can sprinkle with icing sugar for extra flavor and decoration!
This Lenten Cake is a creative mix of classic, seasonal flavors and makes a delightful addition to a festive table. It’s the perfect recipe to introduce to your family and friends, who may find this uniquely flavored cake a pleasant surprise. And, it’s a great way to become familiar with the customs and traditions of the Lenten season.
If you’re looking for more recipes that adhere to the cultural and religious customs of the season, then check out No-Knead Hot Cross Buns or Greek Easter Bread. Both are sure to bring joy and festivity to your family’s celebrations!