Discover the Deliciousness of Leidenheimer Bread!
Have you heard of the wonderful Leidenheimer bread? This delicious recipe originated in Louisiana and is known throughout the region for its unique and savory flavor. Not only is this bread a staple in many home kitchens, but it’s also served in restaurants across the state. It’s a must-try for any bread lover!
This bread is full of bold flavors, with a savory and smoky taste that comes from the combination of its unique ingredients. To achieve the traditional taste of Leidenheimer bread, there are a few key ingredients: milk or buttermilk, eggs, garlic powder, onion powder, white pepper, chili powder, and smoked paprika. A healthy dose of vegetable oil is also added to help give the bread a light and fluffy texture.
– 4 cups all-purpose flour
– 2 ¼ teaspoon instant yeast
– 2 teaspoon salt
– 2 teaspoon garlic powder
– 2 teaspoon onion powder
– ½ teaspoon white pepper
– ½ teaspoon chili powder
– 2 teaspoon smoked paprika
– 2 ¼ cup warm milk or buttermilk
– 2 eggs, beaten
– 4 tablespoon vegetable oil
1. Preheat oven to 375° F.
2. In a large bowl, mix together the flour, yeast, salt, garlic powder, onion powder, white pepper, chili powder and smoked paprika.
3. In a separate bowl, mix together the warm milk or buttermilk, eggs, and vegetable oil.
4. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir to combine. The dough will be slightly sticky.
5. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 3-5 minutes, until the dough is elastic and smooth.
6. Place the dough into an oiled bowl, cover with a damp kitchen towel, and let it rise in a warm place for 30-45 minutes.
7. Once the dough has doubled in size, turn it out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead the dough for 3-4 minutes, then shape into a rectangular loaf.
8. Place the loaf on a greased baking sheet, cover with a kitchen towel, and let it rise in the same warm place for another 30 minutes.
9. Bake for 40-45 minutes, or until the internal temperature reaches 190° F.
10. Let the bread cool for 10 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
Leidenheimer bread is an essential dish for Cajun cuisine and makes a great addition to any meal. With its distinctive flavor, it makes a wonderful side for any classic dish like jambalaya or gumbo. Plus, its fluffy texture is sure to please any bread lover, no matter their palate.
So why not give this classic Louisiana dish a try? All you need is a few simple ingredients and some time to let the dough rise. You’ll be enjoying the delicious taste of Leidenheimer bread in no time!